Woodland Holiday Park chlorine gas overcomes worker

A Norfolk holiday park contractor has been taken to hospital after inhaling chlorine gas at a swimming pool.

It happened at Woodland Holiday Park in Trimingham on Tuesday morning, the East of England Ambulance Service said.

The man, in his 60s, was admitted to hospital as a precaution, with his condition not thought to be life-threatening, the service said.

Paramedics, who were called at 11:50 BST, assessed 16 people at the pool. Three of those assessed were children.

The indoor pool was evacuated after the discovery of the leak, which occurred in an adjacent storage building.

HSE informed

The fire service said it dealt with a "small leak of chlorine gas" at the park, near Cromer.

Norfolk Police said the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had been informed.

Andrew Hird, chief executive of Woodland Holiday Park, said he had spoken to the contractor who was admitted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, stating he was recovering well.

He said many of the people assessed by emergency services were members of staff at the holiday park.

Mr Hird said the gas had leaked from the storage building into the nearby pool, which had its windows open.

He said he believed all health and safety procedures had been carried out appropriately at the site, but would co-operate with any external investigation.

He said the pool would be reopened to guests on Wednesday.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Norfolk

Weather

Norwich

20 °C 16 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.