King's Lynn incinerator: Council seeks judicial review
- 27 January 2012
- From the section Norfolk
Preparations for a waste incinerator in King's Lynn could be halted after a council voted to challenge the way it is being financed.
Councillors at the Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk voted on Thursday to seek a judicial review of government funding worth £91m.
Proposed legal action by residents to stop the plant being built failed at the High Court in December.
Norfolk County Council approved its construction in March 2011.
King's Lynn and West Norfolk council leader Nicholas Daubney said: "I believe we're perfectly justified in challenging this decision.
"The many, many messages I'm getting from the public want us to do so - even demand we do so."
The council said it believed the financial arrangements in place between Norfolk County Council and the preferred contractors had impeded debate during the planning process.
PFI credits awarded
It said it would repeat a request to communities secretary Eric Pickles to "call-in" the matter for determination.
A bid by campaigners in December for a judicial review into the way Norfolk County Council awarded the incinerator contract to Cory Wheelabrator failed.
Last week Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman awarded £91m of private finance (PFI) credits towards the energy-from-waste plant at Saddlebow.
The Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norwich City Council, some local MPs and campaign groups have openly condemned the building of the incinerator.
Developer Cory Wheelabrator has been requested to clarify concerns over noise, dust, smell, air pollution and public health.
A county council spokeswoman said the proposal to seek a judicial review had not halted the project and a consultation process was due to finish on 20 February.