An e-cigarette on charge in a pub in Yorkshire blew up
Media playback is unsupported on your device

E-cigarette warnings after Wallasey man's death

8 August 2014 Last updated at 22:04 BST

A man has died after an explosion believed to have been triggered by an electronic cigarette being charged, said Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service.

David Thomson, 62, was found in the living room of a house in Penkett Road, Wallasey, where a charging e-cigarette is thought to have ignited oxygen equipment.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said it has been called to nine incidents involving e-cigarettes in the last 18 months and is now including warnings about e-cigarettes on community visits.