Probe launched over River Mersey body find
- 13 July 2014
- From the section Liverpool
An investigation has been launched after it was discovered that a man found dead in the River Mersey had been held in police custody days beforehand.
The man's body was spotted in the water near the Twelve Quays site in Seacombe, Merseyside, at about 07:40 BST on Saturday.
The man has since been identified as a 51-year-old from Birkenhead.
Merseyside Police has now referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
The move comes after it emerged the man had been held over criminal damage and drunk and disorderly offences.
The force said detectives are keeping an open mind and are "treating his death as unexplained at this early stage of the investigation".
A spokesman said: "The force has made a referral to the Independent Police Complaints Commission due to the man having been held in police custody for offences of being drunk and disorderly and criminal damage on 9 July and 10 July respectively, for which he had been charged and released on bail pending a court hearing next month."
The body was pulled out of the water after a security guard raised the alarm.
Post-mortem tests to establish a cause of death have yet to be carried out.