Liverpool mayor calls for review after Anfield delays
Liverpool's mayor has called for a safety review after more than 1,000 Everton fans were held up outside Anfield before Tuesday night's derby.
Joe Anderson requested a report into crowd control at Tuesday's game after fans were delayed entering the ground.
Merseyside Police said by the 19:45 GMT kick-off "less than half the 2,700 away fans" had entered the stadium.
Some fans claimed they had been "crushed" in the melee but police said no-one had been injured.'Complete disregard'
Everton fan Keith Mullin, of the Farm, said he was at the turnstile before 19:30 GMT at the Anfield Road end and "it was chaos then".
He said: "The response off those responsible for safety... shows a complete disregard for public safety. It attempts to shift blame on to the fans."
Mr Mullin said the match, in which Everton were thrashed 4-0, was "not policed or stewarded" properly.
The mayor tweeted: "I've asked for a full report on the problems away fans had accessing Anfield. Ground safety group "to be convened urgently to review".
Match commander Ch Supt Carl Krueger of Merseyside Police said: "A number of supporters who arrived close to the kick-off time got to their seats after the match had started.
"Everyone was in the stadium by 20:15 GMT and I would like to thank people for their patience and understanding."
He said police had appealed to supporters to get there as early as possible because of security checks for flares or other pyrotechnics.
Everton FC's director of communications said: "We are aware of a significant number of complaints regarding queue management from supporters waiting to enter Anfield.
"The club will make contact with Liverpool Football Club to raise these matters."
Police are also investigating reports that missiles were thrown at Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.