Chocolate pudding blast injures Newton le Willows woman

An elderly woman was left with facial burns when a tinned chocolate pudding exploded and showered her with hot liquid.

A Merseyside Fire crew was called to a property on Belvedere Road, Newton le Willows on Thursday night after reports of a possible explosion.

The woman, who was in her 80s, was given first aid and taken to Warrington Hospital.

Firefighters said the incident happened when the pudding tin overheated.

Watch Manager Alan Moore, who attended the call-out, said: "This was a tin of pudding which cooks by putting it in boiling water, the lady forgot it was heating up on the cooker and the water evaporated.

"I think she went to get it out of the pan and the lid exploded.

He added: "Her face was covered with some of the hot chocolate, she could not see or open her eyes."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Liverpool

Weather

Liverpool

19 °C 11 °C

Features

  • HandshakeKiss and make up

    A marriage counsellor on healing the referendum hurt


  • Pellet of plutoniumRed alert

    The scary element that helped save the crew of Apollo 13


  • Burnt section of the Umayyad Mosque in the old city of AleppoBefore and after

    Satellite images reveal Syria's heritage trashed by war


  • Woman on the phone in office10 Things

    The most efficient break is 17 minutes, and more nuggets


  • Amir TaakiDark market

    The bitcoin wallet with controversial users


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.