Wallasey beauty salon birthday cake fire burns woman

Firefighters outside John Hemingway Hair in Wallasey Village The birthday candles ignited vapour around the woman who was having her nails done

A woman suffered serious burns when candles on her birthday cake set fire to fumes at a Merseyside beauty salon.

The 80-year-old's clothes ignited at John Hemingway Hair in Wallasey Village at about 12:20 BST, firefighters said.

Police said the fire started after the woman, who was having work done on her nails, was presented with the cake.

The victim, and a man who suffered burns to his hands while trying to extinguish the fire, were taken to Arrowe Park Hospital for treatment.

It is believed both have since been transferred to a specialist burns unit at Whiston Hospital.

A police spokesman said the candles ignited vapour around the woman, engulfing her in flames.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service's Paul Murphy said firefighters had "administered first aid to the woman" at the scene.

An investigation into the incident by both Merseyside Police and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service has begun.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Liverpool

Weather

Liverpool

Min. Night 16 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.