Stephen Akinyemi killing: Police 'failed to act' before death

Arran Coghlan (pic: MEN Syndication) Arran Coghlan was cleared of Stephen Akinyemi's murder

Related Stories

Two police forces are to be investigated over claims they knew three men's lives were in danger and failed to act before one was killed.

Stephen Akinyemi was shot dead in a fight at the home of Arran Coghlan, 41, in Alderley Edge in February 2010.

Mr Coghlan was cleared of his murder and said police knew Mr Akinyemi planned an attack two weeks beforehand.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission will investigate the Greater Manchester and Cheshire forces.

'Malicious intent'

It will also look at whether the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) knew there was a "real and immediate risk" to the life of a third man, Philip Atkinson, and should have taken steps to protect all three.

Mr Coghlan told the inquest in October 2011 that police knew Mr Akinyemi was coming to his house with "malicious intent".

He alleged they could have arrested him two weeks earlier for another offence but decided to let him go free "because they wanted to see what would happen at my house".

Following the inquest he said he was launching "civil proceedings" against the police.

During the hearing, Mr Coghlan said Mr Akinyemi had been at his home because he was trying to mediate in a dispute between him and another friend who also had the nickname Aki.

Mr Akinyemi called him to a toilet on the first floor of his house and when he opened the door he was pointing a gun at him, Mr Coghlan said.

Drug dealing

A struggle followed which Mr Coghlan described as "bedlam", during which he was stabbed. The gun then went off.

Mr Akinyemi, who was wearing a stab vest, was shot twice in his body armour and once, fatally, in the head.

Coroner Nicholas Rheinberg recorded an open verdict after expressing doubt over the businessman's version of events.

The murder was the third Mr Coughlan had been cleared of.

He was cleared in 1996 of shooting Chris Little dead at the wheel of his Mercedes in Marple, Stockport.

Seven years later he stood trial for the murder of drug dealer David Barnshaw, who was kidnapped and forced to drink petrol before being burned alive in the back of a car in Stockport in 2001, and was again cleared.

June 2011 saw the collapse of a multi-million pound drugs conspiracy case involving Mr Coghlan.

In March 2012 he was ordered to hand his home to SOCA after the High Court ruled he used drug dealing profits to buy his £1m house.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Manchester



Min. Night 3 °C


  • Mukesh SinghNo remorse

    Delhi bus rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back

  • Aimen DeanI spied

    The founder member of al-Qaeda who worked for MI6

  • Before and after shotsPerfect body

    Just how reliable are 'before and after' photos?

  • Woman with closed eyeStrange light show

    What do you see when you close your eyes?

  • Sony WalkmanLost ideas

    What has happened to Japan's inventors?

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.