No charges over bag that sparked Manchester bomb alert
Police have traced the owner of a laptop bag that sparked a controlled explosion in Manchester city centre, and said no charges would be brought.
Bomb disposal experts were called to reports of a suspicious package on New York Street, near the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, on Friday.
Part of the city centre was cordoned off while the bag was exploded.
Police said there was no malicious motive and it was "nothing more than an irresponsible act".
Det Insp Mark Toothill said: "He has been advised of his actions, which following a review of all information available to us, does not amount to a criminal act.
"We took the precautionary steps we did because at the time we did not know what was in the bag or why it had been left.
"Clearly this incident brought significant disruption to the city centre and I would like to reiterate to the public the importance of keeping your belongings on you and safe at all times."