Two held after deaths of Jordan Chambers and Gareth Ashton
- 22 January 2013
- From the section Manchester
Two people have been arrested after the deaths of two men who took potentially contaminated ecstasy tablets in Greater Manchester.
Jordan Chambers, 19, died at Oldham Hospital on Sunday and Gareth Ashton, 28, died at Wigan Infirmary on Monday.
Both men had complained of feeling unwell after taking drugs.
Two men aged 33 and 34 have been arrested on suspicion of being concerned in supplying a controlled drug.
Police said post mortem examinations were due to take place on both men later this week.
Detectives have warned contaminated ecstasy pills could be circulating in the area as several other people have been admitted to hospital with similar symptoms.
Police are now investigating where the men had been socialising and if they were in the same place when they took the pills.
Det Ch Insp Howard Millington said he was worried there could be further deaths if the drugs continue to circulate in the area and urged anyone feeling unwell after taking ecstasy pills to seek medical help.
He said: "We are very concerned at how these deaths of two apparently fit young men have occurred."
A 26-year-old man who died in Liverpool on Sunday is also believed to have taken ecstasy tablets before he collapsed.
Greater Manchester Police are not currently linking his death to that of Mr Chambers and Mr Ashton but said they could not discount a connection.
Toxicology results are being conducted on all three men.
The drugs thought to be contaminated are heart-shaped ecstasy tablets which come in purple, green, red and yellow colours.