Toddler drinks caustic soda, burning throat and stomach

A toddler suffered burns to his throat and stomach when he drank a toxic chemical in a shop in Manchester.

The child grabbed a bottle containing caustic soda and drank some in the shop on Claremont Road, Moss Side, on Sunday.

He was admitted to Manchester Children's Hospital where his condition is described as serious but stable.

Greater Manchester Police and Cheshire East Council Trading Standards are investigating.

It is understood the product was supplied by a company in Cheshire.

Supt Sarah Jones said: "Caustic soda is a highly toxic chemical commonly found in drain and oven cleaners.

"If it is touched, inhaled or swallowed it can cause severe burns. This little boy took a drink from a bottle and is now seriously ill in hospital."

More on This Story

From other news sites

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Manchester

Weather

Manchester

7 °C 5 °C

Features

  • Kim Jong-ilKorean kidnap

    The film stars abducted by North Korea and forced to make movies


  • scarlett Johansson7 days quiz

    Did someone try to impersonate Scarlett on the red carpet?


  • Woman reading on subwayCover shots Watch

    The disappearing books of the New York city subway


  • llamasLlama drama

    Two unlikely fugitives go on the run in Arizona


  • Girl with Pinocchio nose Busting fake CVs

    The digital technology combating job application fraud


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.