Dog turns on hob and dies in fire at Radcliffe house

A dog has died after jumping on to a cooker and starting a fire at a house in Greater Manchester.

It is thought the dog caught the hob switch with its paw, accidentally switching it on at the house in Borough Avenue, Radcliffe, on Sunday evening.

Fire crews were called but the flames had gone out when they arrived and the dog had already died.

Several fish in a tank in the kitchen also died as a result of the fire and the kitchen was extensively damaged.

David Acton, chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "Unfortunately, strange incidents such as a dog jumping up and knocking the switches to turn a hob on do happen and, despite all of our prevention work, we can't hope to prevent all of these things from happening."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Manchester

Weather

Manchester

Min. Night 14 °C

Features

  • Krak des ChevaliersSitting targets

    How ancient treasures in Syria are being bombed to pieces


  • Mesut Ozil's tattoo reads "Only God can judge me"Ink explained

    Nine World Cup players' tattoos decoded, and one who refuses


  • Putting a coin in supermarket trolleyMinor annoyance

    Why are Morrisons getting rid of coin-locks on trolleys?


  • Sekhemka statueSelling out?

    The councils tempted to cash in on their art collections


  • Google sweetsName game

    Would Google have made it as BackRub?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.