Paralysed diver Daniel McCarrick receives £1m settlement
A Manchester man paralysed after diving into a shallow swimming pool without warning signs has received a settlement of about £1m from a holiday park.
Daniel McCarrick, 25, of New Moston, broke his neck at Skipsea Sands Holiday Park in East Yorkshire, in 2007.
Mr McCarrick, who is permanently paralysed from the neck down, said he was angry there were no "no diving" signs around the indoor pool.
A spokesman for Park Resorts, which owns the park, declined to comment.
Mr McCarrick had been working at the park as a heating engineer for Oldham-based FM Ventilation Services when he jumped into the pool with work mates at the end of his first day in the job.
He said: "The past five years have been so horrible and it's hard for me to come to terms with how much my life has changed.
"If I had seen any 'no diving' signs at Skipsea's swimming pool I would have definitely taken notice and obeyed them, it's just how I've been brought up.
"My family know that I've always been a sensible lad and I would never put myself at risk or do anything silly.
"It was only after the accident that I found out I'd dived into just one metre of water."
Mr McCarrick described being "so frightened" when he was dragged out of the pool.
He said: "I remember feeling really shocked when I felt my head hit the bottom of the pool because it was so unexpected.
"I remember floating to the surface, face down and I was shouting for my friends but I couldn't move or feel anything.
"One of my workmates dragged me out of the pool and I could hear everyone talking around me and calling for help. I was so frightened.
"When the doctors told me I would never walk again it was the hardest blow and I was devastated. I managed to tell my mum myself but the reality of it didn't sink in for a long time after that."
He added: "I'm angry that the owners of Skipsea didn't do more to protect me and that because of them I've ended up in a wheelchair.'Dangerous places'
End Quote Daniel McCarrick
I was shouting for my friends but I couldn't move”
"I hope people realise swimming pools can be really dangerous and that leisure providers realise they need to look after people and inform them of the dangers they may face."
Mr McCarrick said the settlement will help him live independently with the right care.
Matt Brown, the lawyer who represented Mr McCarrick, said the injuries could have easily been prevented if the proper warning signs had been displayed.
He added: "Daniel used to be a fun-loving and energetic young man who liked to go out with his friends but he will sadly now never walk again.
"Swimming pools are there to be used and enjoyed, but they can be dangerous places and all necessary precautions should be taken to ensure everyone is kept as safe as possible."