Bury girl, 4, burned after clothes set alight by gas fire
- 9 December 2012
- From the section Manchester
A four-year-old girl is in a critical condition after her clothes were set alight by a gas fire in a house in Greater Manchester.
Emergency services were called to Horne Street, Bury, at about 12:30 GMT on Saturday after receiving reports that a child had been injured.
Paramedics treated the girl for 60% burns to her head and body before taking her to hospital.
A police spokesman said the incident looked like a "tragic accident".
He said it was believed that her clothes had caught fire when she walked near to a gas fire.
"She suffered extensive burns and was taken to Manchester Children's Hospital, where she remains in a critical condition," he said.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had been confined to the girl's clothes.
He said a full investigation into the incident was under way.