Two boys hurt in Salford firework explosion

Two children were taken to hospital with severe burns after an industrial firework exploded in Salford.

The 10 and 11-year-old boys suffered burns to their hands and face, a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said.

It is believed the boys were playing with the firework, along with other children, in Cumbrae Gardens shortly before noon.

One of the youths is thought to have lit the firework which exploded.

'Onion bomb'

The firework involved was a display rocket, known as an onion bomb which is not for sale to the general public.

Station Manager Dave Hughes said: "We were told they were holding an industrial firework, another child lit it and it blew up in their face.

"An incident like this really brings home how dangerous fireworks are and it's heartbreaking for all those involved."

Area Manager Geoff Harris, head of protection at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, added: "We are extremely interested in how this firework ended up in a street where children were able to play with it. We need to take action and prevent further fireworks from getting into the wrong hands.

"They are not on general sale for a very good reason and we do not want anybody else getting injured."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Manchester

Weather

Manchester

Min. Night 17 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.