Manchester

Man dies in Denton fire 'caused by cigarette'

Scene of the flat fire on Trowbridge Road
Image caption The man was rescued from the flat but died at the scene

A man has died in a fire in Greater Manchester which is thought to have been started by a discarded cigarette.

Fire crews were called to a ground-floor flat on Trowbridge Road in Denton just after 06:00 BST.

A 52-year-old man was rescued by firefighters but despite treatment he died at the scene.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service's preliminary investigations suggest the blaze was started by discarded smoking materials.

Further multi-agency investigations are to be carried out, it said.

The fire service said a smoke alarm had been fitted in the flat but it had not alerted the occupant.

It was called by a neighbour who had heard the alarm and smelled the smoke.

David Acton, Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "It is extremely sad that a man has died, despite the best efforts of our crews to save him.

"It's also sad that this tragedy could have probably been prevented - carelessly discarded smoking materials are a major cause of fires in the home.

"Please remember, when you stub out a cigarette make sure it is fully out - tobacco is designed to stay alight and cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites