Girl, 14, forced to be prostitute in Greater Manchester
- 2 August 2010
- From the section Manchester
A 14-year-old was forced into prostitution and sexually abused by a series of men after going missing from her home in Greater Manchester.
Nine men were convicted in connection with the abuse, which took place in February and March 2008.
The girl, described as vulnerable, was "used as a commodity" for sexual activity with the men, police said.
Supt Paul Savill, of Greater Manchester Police (GMP), said she had been through an "absolutely horrifying ordeal".
Police said the girl, who first went missing on 16 February 2008, had been abused by a number of different men "as she went from one vulnerable situation to another".
In each case the men identified her vulnerability to take advantage of her.
In a statement issued following the convictions, the girl said: "These people exploit young girls, introduce them to prostitution, feed them drugs and alcohol and tell them they love them.
'Changed my life'
"I know this because it has happened to me and it has changed my life enormously.
"I just hope that people will be more aware of this now and will be able to prevent this from happening to other vulnerable young girls."
Over a series of separate hearings and trials, Manchester Crown Court heard how the girl was first picked up in Rochdale town centre by Asad Hassan.
He took her to a nightclub where she was plied with drink and taken to a flat along with two other men, Basharat Mohammed and Mohammed Atif, who all later sexually exploited her.
A few days later she travelled to Manchester where she met another man, Aftab Khan, who also plied her with alcohol and drugs before ordering her to work as a prostitute.
Over the next 10 days she was forced to have sex with a number of men for money, before flagging down a couple in the street and begging them for help.
Supt Savill said the level of abuse the girl had suffered was "almost beyond belief".
"She has been treated like a commodity: beaten, threatened and sexually exploited.
"These men took advantage of her vulnerability with no regard for her wellbeing.
"I commend this young girl for her bravery in supporting this case. Even after her ordeal she was able to revisit the sites where she was abused and testify against her abusers in court."
The girl's parents added: "We are very proud of our daughter for her courage in assisting Greater Manchester Police with the prosecution of these abusers who caused her such terrible harm.
"No family should have to endure a nightmare experience like the one we have been through.
"We support our daughter in hoping that these successful prosecutions will send a message that will help protect other children."
Nine men convicted at Manchester Crown Court in connection with the abuse were:
- Aftab Khan, 31, of Tarporley Avenue, Fallowfield pleaded guilty to one count of controlling a child prostitute and one count of sexual activity with a child. He was sentenced to nine years in prison. This was later reduced to seven years on appeal
- Abid Khaliq, 30, of Shrewsbury Street, Stretford was sentenced to eight months in prison after admitting perverting the course of justice
- Noorzai Ahmed, 29, of Royce Court, Hulme was sentenced to four years in prison after he was found guilty of paying for the sexual services of a child
- Mohammed Anwar Safi, 29, of no fixed address, was sentenced to 31 months in prison after admitting paying for the sexual services of a child
- Mohammed Khan, 26, of Royce Court, Hulme was sentenced to four years in prison after he was found guilty of facilitating child prostitution
- Najibullah Safi, 33, of Reabrook Avenue, West Gorton was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting to sexual activity with a child
- Asad Yousaf Hassa, 28, of Rivington Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting two counts of sexual activity with a child
- Mohammed Basharat, 28, of Prospect Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to sexual activity with a child under 16
- Mohammed Atif, 29, of Rivington Street, Rochdale was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting to sexual activity with a child