Hatton Garden raid: Carl Wood lodges appeal against conviction
- 11 March 2016
- From the section London
One of the men found guilty of taking part in the £14m Hatton Garden raid has lodged an appeal against his convictions.
Carl Wood, 59, was jailed on Wednesday for six years for his role in the break-in last Easter.
He was identified as one of the men who broke into the central London building.
During his Woolwich Crown Court trial, Wood, from Hertfordshire, had denied being Man F seen on CCTV footage.
Lawyers for a second gang member, plumber Hugh Doyle, 49, have already said he will seek to appeal against his conviction for concealing, converting or transferring criminal property. He was jailed for 21 months, suspended for two years.
The ringleaders jailed for seven years each for conspiracy to commit burglary after pleading guilty last year were:
- John "Kenny" Collins, 75, of Bletsoe Walk, Islington, north London
- Daniel Jones, 61, of Park Avenue, Enfield, north London
- Terry Perkins, 67, of Heene Road, Enfield.
The man described as the mastermind behind the raid, Brian Reader, was too ill to attend the sentencing hearing after a second stroke and will be sentenced later.
Another man, William Lincoln, 60, of Bethnal Green, east was jailed for seven years after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary.
Sentencing the men, Judge Christopher Kinch QC said he did not know if it could be proved as had been claimed in court that it was the "biggest burglary in English history".
But he said: "It is clear that the burglary at the heart of this case stands in a class of its own in the scale of the ambition, the detail of the planning, the level of preparation and the organisation of the team carrying it out, and in terms of the value of the property stolen."