Man 'died after G4S restraint', inquest hears

Jimmy Mubenga Mr Mubenga was being escorted by staff from the private security firm G4S

Related Stories

A 46-year-old Angolan man died after being restrained by G4S security guards as he was being deported, an inquest has heard.

Jimmy Mubenga became ill on a plane as it prepared to leave Heathrow Airport in October 2010. He died in hospital.

Isleworth Crown Court heard he had been restrained by three G4S security guards - Terence Hughes, Stuart Tribelnig and Colin Kaler.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) previously decided against action.

Karon Monaghan QC, Assistant Deputy Coroner for Hammersmith and Fulham, told the jury that the three security guards restrained Mr Mubenga shortly after he went to the toilet.

She said: "A struggle ensued between Mr Mubenga and the three DCOs (Detention Custody Officers).

"Mr Mubenga was then restrained, handcuffed and placed in a seat.

"At some point it appears that he fell silent and unresponsive, and it became clear something was wrong."

The coroner told the jury the guards were later arrested "on suspicion of having committed criminal offences in relation to the death of Mr Mubenga" but no prosecutions were brought.

Mr Mubenga was being deported back to Angola after serving a two-year prison sentence for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The inquest is expected to last eight weeks.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC London



Min. Night 7 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.