Opposition to new Thames bridge plan for east London
12 May 2013 Last updated at 16:31 BST
A consultation has found there is significant public support for a new Thames bridge in east London, which had been previously ruled out by London Mayor Boris Johnson.
Conservative member of the London Assembly Gareth Bacon told the BBC's Sunday Politics show that a new "fixed crossing" would be a "mistake".
Mr Johnson scrapped plans for the Thames Gateway Bridge when first elected to office in 2008.
Michele Dix, Transport for London's managing director of planning, said the Thames road bridge was "crucial".