Chase death policewoman Adele Cashman had heart problem

Det Con Adele Cashman
Image caption Det Con Adele Cashman had been due to run the Edinburgh Marathon

A Metropolitan police officer who died while on duty in north London while chasing a suspect had a problem with her heart, an inquest has heard.

Det Con Adele Cashman, 30, was taken to hospital after collapsing in Belsize Park Gardens, Camden, on 5 November.

An inquest concluded that she died of a "fatal cardiac dysrhythmia" or abnormal heart rate. Her heart was "morphologically normal" though.

The verdict at St Pancras Coroner's Court was natural causes.

She was responding to a report of a mobile phone being snatched from a 59-year-old woman in Haverstock Hill.

The officer, based at Kentish Town police station, died later at the Royal Free Hospital.

Image caption Det Con Cashman collapsed in Belsize Park Gardens in Camden

The coroner, Dr Shirley Radcliffe, said it was likely she had an undiagnosed congenital heart problem.

Speaking after the inquest, Det Con Cashman's parents Geoff and Lorraine Cashman, said she died serving the public, doing what she loved.

A statement said: "Adele achieved a lot in her short life. She travelled the world, was well educated and she lived life to the full.

"We are greatly comforted by the many tributes received from her friends and workmates and by knowing how many people really knew and loved her."

Det Con Cashman had intended to run the 2013 Edinburgh Marathon for the Cots For Tots charity.

Her brother Adam and Claire Hart, a former colleague from Wandsworth Police, will run the London Marathon on 21 April in her memory for the charity.

Det Ch Supt Richard Tucker, Acting Borough Commander for Camden, said Det Con Cashman was a "wholly dedicated officer" held in very high regard by all who met her.

He added: "She continues to be sorely missed by everyone at Camden who had the privilege of working alongside her."

She joined the Met in 2006, stationed at Wandsworth Borough as a constable, before transferring to Camden in 2010 as a detective constable.

On 14 November, two 17-year-old boys pleaded guilty to the theft Det Con Cashman was responding to when she collapsed.

They each received a six-month referral order at Highbury Corner Youth Court.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites