Joseph Benett died after 'inhaling unknown gas'

Joseph Benett Joseph Benett died last week after being in a coma for a month

Related Stories

A north London teenager died after inhaling an unknown gas from a canister he thought contained laughing gas, it has emerged.

Joseph Benett, 17, suffered a cardiac arrest after inhaling the gas with his friends on 31 August.

An interim Hertfordshire Coroner's Court report gave the cause of death as hypoxic brain injury caused by inhalation of nitrous oxide.

But police have now said the canister did not contain nitrous oxide.

The teenager, a promising art student from Golders Green, fell into a coma after he inhaled the gas and died at the end of September with his family at his bedside.

The interim inquest was opened and adjourned on 1 October, when the cause of death was given as hypoxic brain injury caused by inhalation of nitrous oxide.

However, Insp Ken Townsend, of Hertfordshire Police, said further investigations had found no trace of nitrous oxide.

"We are still awaiting a full scientific report and, until we receive that report, it would not be appropriate to make any further comment," he said.

"The incident is an immense tragedy. There is currently no criminal investigation and the matter is in the hands of the coroner."

A full inquest is due to be held next year.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC London

Weather

London

29 °C 17 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.