Tia Sharp death: No bail application for Stuart Hazell
- 15 August 2012
- From the section London
A man accused of killing 12-year-old schoolgirl Tia Sharp has made no application for bail during a court hearing.
Stuart Hazell, 37, appeared by videolink at the Old Bailey and is expected to make a plea on 19 November.
Tia was reported missing on 3 August and was last seen at her grandmother's house in New Addington, Croydon.
A body was found there a week later and Mr Hazell was subsequently charged with murder.
A provisional trial date has been set for 21 January.
Although police are still waiting for formal identification of the body found on Friday, the victim is named in the murder charge as Tia and officers said they believed the body was that of the 12-year-old.
A post-mortem examination, which was paused on Saturday night, is expected to resume on Thursday afternoon, police said. The cause of death has yet to be identified.
Tia's grandmother Christine Sharp, who was arrested on suspicion of murder, and a 39-year-old man, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, have both been bailed to return to a south London police station in October.
On Tuesday it was announced that a serious case review had been launched into the death.
Merton Council, which has responsibility for Mitcham, south London, where Tia lived with her mother, said it was "standard procedure" to carry out a review.
Chief executive Ged Curran said: "Our thoughts and condolences go out to all those who knew Tia.
"The local safeguarding children board will now commission a serious case review, the standard procedure in a tragic case such as this."
Serious case reviews are carried out when a child has died to look at the role played by local agencies in the life of the child and their family.