28 July 2012
Last updated at 03:33
The BBC visited Greenwich, the world capital of time, to capture moments in time ahead of the Games. People wait patiently at the bus stop and wave to flag down the 180 bus from Belvedere to Lewisham.
The Royal Observatory in Greenwich holds more than 120 clocks. Among the timekeeping pieces is the BBC's original six-pip master clock. The clock, which was made in 1874, was the first to be used for its instantly recognisable pip time signal.
A number of shops in the town reference the significance of time in the area.
Greenwich Market stall holder Gloria has sold antique jewellery for a number of years. This brooch, which features a clock face, was quickly snapped up after being photographed.
A 'ghost bike' stands on the junction of Vanbrugh Hill and Woolwich Road to mark where a cyclist called Stella died in 2009.
Members of the public leave various messages relating to time at the Royal Observatory. Some make note of the moment they fell in love or when their first child was born, but one person left this message.
Hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world visit the Greenwich Meridian which separates east from west. Students visiting London from a school in Barcelona stand astride the line.
Overlooking Greenwich, pigeons tuck into a packet of crisps at lunchtime. From the top of the hill in the park the Olympic equestrian sites can be seen, as well as the North Greenwich Arena (pictured top right) which is host to gymnastics and basketball during the Games.
Looking through one of the portholes on the Cutty Sark, tourists rest their tired legs and one man takes a few moments to rest his weary eyes, lying down for a nap.
The dandelion has been used for telling the time in various ways, including counting the number of puffs of air it takes to blow off all the seeds. This is supposed to tell you the right hour of the day.
The Greenwich foot tunnel, which runs under the River Thames, links the Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, Tower Hamlets. It takes about four minutes to walk from one side to the other. The tunnel was officially opened on 4 August 1902.