Sir Paul Stephenson 'concerned' by London burglary rise
London's Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson has admitted he is "concerned" about the increase of burglaries in London.
Crime figures released by the Met show there were 1,061 more burglaries last month than May 2010.
House burglaries jumped by 18.5% and non-residential burglaries rose by nearly 9%, with a total of 8,250 burglary offences being reported.
On Thursday, he will present a report about property crime in London.
On Tuesday, Sir Paul told the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee that Scotland Yard had seen "reductions in most categories of violent crime" in the last financial year.
These include gun crimes - which fell to 425 from 551 offences the previous year - and there were also almost 1,000 fewer incidents of violence with injury.
But Sir Paul added: "However, I am concerned about burglary. That seems to be going up."
On Thursday, Sir Paul will present a report to the Metropolitan Police Authority revealing a rising trend in property crime in London.
According to the report, in the three-month period between February and April, robberies increased by 6.2%, thefts from a person - such as pick-pocketing - rose by 10.8% and the number of burglary offences jumped from 22,599 to 23,788.
The report highlights the launch of Operation Target, which was rolled out earlier this month, and targets violent offenders, robbers and burglars.
"In the short term, we are looking to achieve immediate crime reductions in robbery and burglary," his report says.
"Over a longer period we are looking to enhance public confidence by achieving significant and sustained reductions in crime in London."
Yvette Cooper, shadow home secretary, said the latest figures highlighted the risk the government was taking by cutting police budgets.
"These figures are deeply concerning and show the risks the government is taking with law and order," she said.
"Crime fell by 40% in the last 12 years, but that progress was hard won and it is now being put at risk."