Louise Cattell's parents in ketamine You Tube campaign
- 30 April 2011
- From the section London
The parents of a woman who died after using ketamine are to begin a You Tube campaign to raise awareness.
Louise Cattell, 21, drowned in March after falling asleep in a bath at her flat in Clapton, east London, after taking the drug.
Her parents Vicky Unwin and Ross Cattell have said people are "playing with fire" by taking ketamine.
The anaesthetic is a class C drug but a review is expected to recommend an upgrade to its classification.
'Science not reflected'
Ms Unwin said: "I don't think either of us imagined our daughter would die, therefore this is an unimaginable situation."
Talking about the You Tube campaign, she said: "People are playing with fire when they take ketamine.
"As it's is cheap, available and everyone is using it they think it must be safe."
Experts are currently reviewing the use of ketamine as a recreational drug and will report back to the government.
It is expected to recommend that its classification should be upgraded.
Valerie Curran, professor of psychopharmacology at University College London, said: "If you think ecstasy is class A, cannabis is class B, and ketamine class C, that does not reflect the science of what we know about the harms of those drugs."