1 May 2011
Last updated at 15:03
Brixton windmill reopens on 2 May 2011 following a £581,000 restoration programme that began in October 2010. It was funded by a Heritage Lottery grant with additional funds from Lambeth Council and the Friends of Windmill Gardens.
The windmill was built in 1816 and became known as Ashby's Mill after John Ashby and his family, producers of stone ground wholemeal flour. It is now the last survivor of the 12 working windmills in Lambeth.
The windmill had its sails replaced by a steam engine in 1902 after nearby housing reduced the wind capacity generated in the area. The mill was still working until the 1930s.
In 1951 the mill was listed as a Grade II* building but due to limited restoration work and vandalism it never became fully working again until this year.
Repairs to the mill include new lighting, doors, windows and repairs to timber stairs, beams and the cap winding mechanism.
In April 2011 new sails were installed ready for the mill to begin production once again grinding locally sourced and grown wheat and barley.
The provender millstones are removed during repairs. A provender mill, a mechanical gas powered mill, was used when the nearby buildings prevented winds from turning the sails.
The windmill is located within Windmill Gardens, Brixton Hill, once a rural setting surrounded by open fields and few houses.
It is one of the few remaining windmills in London, others include mills at Barnet, Shirley, Upminster and a windmill museum at Wimbledon.