London C-charge zone extension consultation ends
- 2 August 2010
- From the section London
The public consultation into plans to scrap the western extension of the congestion charge area ends on Monday.
People have until the end of the day to give their views on London mayor Boris Johnson's proposal to remove the western extension.
Mr Johnson wants to scrap the charging area, which was introduced in February 2007, by Christmas Eve.
Transport for London (TfL) has predicted a £55m revenue loss and an increase in traffic if it is removed.
Once the consultation has ended, TfL will prepare a report for Mr Johnson, reflecting people's views.
'Failed to work'
He will then decide if the zone will revert to substantially the same area that existed before the western extension was introduced.
Mr Johnson has previously said west London never wanted the western extension, which covers most of Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea, and said it had failed to work.
In May he announced plans to increase the charge from £8 to £10-a-day from January 2011.
Labour London Assembly member Val Shawcross, has described the halving of London's congestion charge zone as a "big mistake".
The congestion charge was introduced in February 2003, with drivers initially paying £5 a day.