Seven Trent Water disruption warning over burst sewage pipe

A water company is warning residents of disruption and an unpleasant smell while it repairs a burst sewage pipe in an area of Leicestershire.

The pipe is part of the network that drains sewage from Barwell and surrounding villages.

Severn Trent Water said the "tricky and complex job", which could take up to a week, was necessary to avoid flooding and pollution in the area.

More than 20 tankers are being used to take waste away during the repair work.

Severn Trent Water said the pipe, linked to Barwell sewage pumping station, had burst several times.

Scott Burgin, from the water company, said: "It is absolutely necessary to do this to avoid the sewage leaking into the area and causing flooding and pollution.

"Residents will notice the tankers travelling back and forth, and we understand that this will cause some disruption... people may also notice a smell."

The water company has apologised to anyone affected by the work.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Leicester



23 °C 15 °C


  • SyedTanks not toys

    Lyse Doucet on the plight of children in Syria and Gaza

  • Boy with head stuck in railingsSmall Data

    Heads stuck in banisters - the official statistics

  • The two sisters in their bakeryBaking hot

    Why two Spanish sisters started a bakery in the desert

  • A farmer walks in front of a construction site of new residential buildings in Hangzhou, ChinaPrice drop

    Sharp falls in China's property market

  • Steve WayMarathon man

    From cigarettes and alcohol to coming 10th in Games BBC Sport

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.