Leicester woman's 'shock' as 'e-cig explodes' in car

Burnt car seat Kim Taylor said she will now use disposable e-cigarettes after one exploded in her car while it was charging

Related Stories

A Leicester woman claims her e-cigarette and car charger adapter exploded while it was recharging, creating a "two-foot flame".

Kim Taylor, from the Aylestone area, believes the fire started because she used a different make of adapter.

She said there was a lack of instructions for using the kit.

The fire service has warned that the battery could explode during recharging because there was "no safety cut-off" stopping them from overheating.

'Black smoke shock'

The 54-year-old mother said the e-cigarette, which was plugged into a car charger of a different brand, was recharging for about 20 minutes before the device exploded.

Start Quote

I opened the drivers door and a load of black smoke came out, I was shocked”

End Quote Kim Taylor E-cigarette user

"I opened the driver's door and a load of black smoke came out, I was shocked," Ms Taylor said.

"I looked inside the car and the back seat was alight, about a two-foot flame, so I ran back into the house and got a bowl of water and put it out.

"Luckily the car was parked up and no-one was inside at the time."

Ms Taylor added that the e-cigarette kit she brought from a petrol station lacked instructions and she has since contacted trading standards about her concerns.

"I don't want anybody else to make the same mistake as I did," she said.

Station Manager Dave Watson, from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "There seems to be no safety cut-off mechanism, which prevents them from over heating during charging - causing the battery to overheat and explode."

Burnt car seat Ms Taylor said she will probably need to buy a new car because of the extent of the damage

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Leicester

Weather

Leicester

14 °C 12 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.