Leicester's Jubilee Square designs defended by mayor
- 28 November 2012
- From the section Leicester
Leicester's mayor has defended changes to his plans for a £4m public space after criticism from businesses.
John Lewis and the Highcross Centre wrote to the city council complaining that the plans for Jubilee Square could increase congestion.
Sir Peter Soulsby said the point of a consultation was for those concerns to be aired and listened to.
John Lewis and the Highcross both said they were now in favour of the proposals.
The plans for Jubilee Square involve creating gardens to replace a car park in St Nicholas Place and move the taxi rank and park-and-ride bus stop.
Phase one of the consultation ran earlier this year with feedback influencing the current design which went on public display on Monday until Thursday at Wygston's House.
At the time, John Lewis said if the square was pedestrianised it would "inevitably lead to an exacerbation of the congestion" and be a "major problem for customers", but it was broadly in favour of the plans.
A letter from the Highcross Centre echoed similar concerns but both have now said they support the amended proposals which will allow traffic along one side of the square and access to its car park.