Loughborough Grammar boy hit by rare infection after Asia rugby tour

A schoolboy is recovering in hospital after falling ill with a rare infection after a rugby tour in Asia.

The boy from Loughborough Grammar School caught an infection called Panton-Valentine leukocidin, which can cause skin irritation and boils.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the boy and two other pupils needed antibiotic treatment after cuts or grazes got infected.

The two other boys did not need hospital treatment.

"We are not dealing with anything exceptional... and it is just a question of ensuring the boys get the right sort of antibiotic treatment," HPA spokesman Dr Philip Monk said.

The school's changing rooms and sports facilities are being deep cleaned following HPA advice.

Dr Monk said: "They had cuts and gazes during a summer tour whilst playing rugby - and these cuts and grazes have got infected as they have been in a hot and humid part of the world."

The infection results from a toxin produced by the staphylococcus aureus bacteria, also known as MRSA.

The pupils returned from the tour of Malaysia, Singapore and Sri Lanka at the end of July.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites