Zombie attack: Leicester city council overrun by ‘undead’
Just a week after Leicester's civic leaders admitted they were unprepared for a zombie invasion, a horde of the "undead" has shuffled through the city.
About 150 people in horror make-up took part in the "mass shamble", according to organiser James Dixon.
The mob "groaned and pressed themselves on the glass" at the council's offices.
It followed news last week that a "concerned citizen" had used a Freedom of Information request to ask how the authority would tackle a zombie attack.
News that Leicester was unprepared for the living dead spread quickly on social networking sites
The inquiry stated: "Having watched several films it is clear that preparation for such an event is poor and one that councils throughout the kingdom must prepare for."
Leicester City Council conceded it had no specific emergency plans in place, but said the request had made them laugh.
The story became a hit on social networking sites, and prompted Mr Dixon to organise Saturday's event on Facebook.
What started as a "small gathering for friends" eventually attracted more widespread interest, and dozens of enthusiasts gathered at the city's clock tower at noon.'Quite the spectacle'
Mr Dixon said: "We went for a shamble. We shambled from the clock to the city council offices - about half a mile through the city centre.
"There were just a couple of security guards at the building. We didn't try to get inside - just pressed ourselves up against the glass like zombies do.
"A few of us are in the pub now - it's been a really good day."
Passer-by Chris Porter, who filmed the event, said it was "quite the spectacle".
"People were going about their normal routine when all of a sudden a steady horde of zombies came lumbering into view," he said.
"It was astonishing how everyone just seemed to stop and stare. Of course, if it had been a real zombie attack I think folk would be running for their lives."