Leeds & West Yorkshire

Kippax fatal fire 'caused by victim smoking in bed'

A 51-year-old woman died in a house fire near Leeds after smoking in bed, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said.

Firefighters rescued her from her home on Oxford Drive, Kippax on Monday, but she was pronounced dead at hospital.

Investigators from the police and fire service found a discarded cigarette had been the cause of the blaze.

Nick Smith, from the fire service, said: "I'm urging the public to recognise the dangers of smoking in bed or when tired."

The property did not have a working smoke alarm fitted.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites