Leeds & West Yorkshire

Hen party crash: Victims face 'long recovery'

Bethany Jones
Image caption Bethany Jones, 18, died at the scene of the accident on Friday

A relative of two women hurt when a hen party's minibus crashed said it could take years for some of the victims to recover.

Bethany Jones, 18, died and eight others remain in hospital after the vehicle was in collision with a lorry on the M62 in West Yorkshire.

Steven Tulley said: "It's going to take a long, long time for some of these people to recover".

He also paid tribute to medical and emergency staff.

Seven of the injured are at Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) and are described as stable.

Mr Tulley, who did not want to name his relatives, said one of them was being treated at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield and was awaiting surgery.

Twenty-one people were on the minibus heading from South Elmsall near Pontefract, West Yorkshire, for the party in Liverpool when it crashed on Friday.

Mr Tulley, who is the leader of South Elmsall Town Council, said: "The whole town is devastated. It's one of the worst things that's happened.

"It has been a tragedy that people never thought they would see in their lifetime.

"It's a small ex-mining community. Everybody knows everybody."

Mr Tulley's wife is a sister at Pinderfields Hospital and she was part of the team putting together the emergency procedures for the arrival of the crash victims.

He said: "It wasn't until she saw people coming through the system she realised it was people from her own community."

After visiting one of his relatives at LGI on Sunday, Mr Tulley said: "There's still quite a lot of very poorly people in this hospital."

Image caption The crash happened on the sliproad of the M62 motorway

He said his family member being treated at LGI was "stable but very very unwell".

Mr Tulley added she had already had surgery but would need further operations. Another relative was being treated at Pinderfields and would need surgery after injuries to her ankle and face.

He said: "Looking at what I've seen with my own family members, I'm of the opinion this could go on for weeks, months, in fact years for these people to make a full recovery.

"There has been some horrific impact injuries."

Crews from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said it was the worst crash they had seen in years.

Staff from five stations attended the scene and found the minibus on its side.

At one stage six air ambulance were involved in dealing with casualties at the scene.

West Yorkshire Police said the lorry driver, arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, has been bailed.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites