Woman's house fire death caused by overloaded plug

Scene of house fire in Harehills Police and fire crews were called to the fire in Harehills in the early hours of Wednesday morning

Related Stories

A house fire in Leeds in which a woman in her 60s died was caused by an overloaded electrical extension plug, West Yorkshire Fire Service has said.

Emergency services were called to the house in Brownhill Crescent, Harehills, at about 01:25 GMT on Wednesday.

Firefighters found the unconscious woman, who died shortly afterwards.

The blaze was started by a damaged four-way extension adaptor which was connected to 13 pieces of electrical equipment, investigators concluded.

Three lamps, two televisions, a coffee warmer, a hand-held vacuum, a convector heater, a melted plastic appliance which could not be identified and four four-gang extension sockets were all operating from just one wall socket, investigators discovered.

Ian Bitcon, from West Yorkshire Fire Service, said: "We sincerely hope that this will act as a warning to others to make sure they check extension adaptors are in good working order and not overloaded."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Leeds & West Yorkshire

Weather

Leeds

Min. Night 0 °C

Features

  • Member of staff at The National Archives in KewFree information?

    The reaction when 13 departments were sent the same FOI request


  • Dippy on display in the Hintze Hall. Photo by Nathalie DiazFarewell to Dippy

    Your stories of the most famous dinosaur in Kensington


  • Steve Easterbrook New McJob

    The Watford fan taking the helm at McDonald's


  • Motorists make their way over Hannahstown Hill on January 29, 2015 in Belfast, In pictures

    Wintry images of UK's most widespread snow so far this year


  • Composite picture of David Cameron and Nick Clegg on separate official visitsMarginal choices?

    New funds for your town - but is visiting minister after your vote?


Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.