Boy electrocuted in 'metal theft attempt' in Leeds
A boy has been electrocuted during a suspected attempt to steal copper cable at a disused Leeds power station.
CE Electric UK said the 16-year-old had tampered with cabling at the site on Skelton Grange Road in Stourton, near Hunslet, on Sunday, 3 July.
His body was discovered by a security guard working for CE Electric UK.
West Yorkshire Police said three youths had been interviewed in connection with suspected theft and that inquiries were ongoing.
CE Electric said it had dealt with 279 incidents of metal theft in West Yorkshire in the last year.
Geoff Earl, head of safety for CE Electric UK, said: "It is believed that the youth died after attempting to steal copper components from our network.
"The circumstances of the incident have had devastating consequences for his family who now have to come terms with this tragedy.
"We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to tamper with electrical equipment on the network.
"Our sites are clearly marked with 'Danger of Death' signs for a very important reason.
"We are pleading with these thieves to think about the consequences of their actions and how much they are risking for such a small return, especially in light of this tragedy."