Bispham High School pupil excluded in homework protest
A 14-year-old schoolboy from Blackpool has returned to the classroom after being excluded for two days for leading a protest to get more homework.
Aaron Parfitt reported Bispham High School to Blackpool Council and Ofsted and then led a class walkout of about 40 pupils on Wednesday.
The school was put in special measures by Ofsted in January last year.
The council said it was investigating Adam's complaint. The school said it cannot comment on individual pupils.
Among Adam's complaints was not getting enough homework to help with his maths after he had failed an exam and a high turnover of maths teachers.
In the last inspection by education regulator Ofsted, the school was found to be failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education. Inspectors also said teaching standards were low, particularly in English and maths.
Deborah Hannon-Catlow, acting head at Bispham High School, said although she was unable to comment on an individual pupil's disciplinary issues, the school was "proactive" in dealing with complaints from parents and pupils.'Challenging period'
She said the school was "passionate" about ensuring that pupils and parents "have a voice and are listened to".
Ms Hannon-Catlow said it was an "undoubtedly challenging time for the school" but it was working with Blackpool Council to try to improve teaching standards, behaviour, attendance and punctuality.
Councillor Ivan Taylor, Blackpool Council cabinet member for children's services, said the school was going through a transitional and challenging period.
However, he said this was not "an excuse for poor standards" and he said additional support had been given to the school to help it to improve.
"The welfare and education of the pupils is our number one priority and and we always make sure that all complaints are taken seriously and investigated thoroughly."
Bispham High School, which has more than 800 pupils, is due to close in 2015.