Chorley care home prosecuted over fish and chips death

The owners of a care home in Lancashire are being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after a resident choked to death on fish and chips.

Rita Smith, 75, died after eating the meal at Euxton Park Care Home in Wigan Road, Chorley, on 1 December 2010.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said she had motor neurone disease and difficulty swallowing.

Four Seasons Health Care Ltd, based in the Isle of Man, is due to appear before Preston magistrates on Friday.

The company, which runs more than 500 care homes in the UK, is accused of breaching section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

The HSE said Ms Smith should have only eaten pureed food while supervised by a carer as she suffered from swallowing difficulties and was at risk of choking.

However, the HSE said she was allegedly given fish and chips for her supper.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Lancashire



5 °C 3 °C


  • Mukesh SinghNo remorse

    Delhi bus rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back

  • Aimen DeanI spied

    The founder member of al-Qaeda who worked for MI6

  • Before and after shotsPerfect body

    Just how reliable are 'before and after' photos?

  • Lotus 97T driven by Elio de AngelisBeen and Gone

    A champion F1 designer and other notable losses

  • A poster of Boris Nemtsov at a rally in St Petersburg, Russia, 1 MarchWho killed Nemtsov?

    Theories abound over murder that shocked Moscow

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.