Gravesend woman injured and pets die in fire

A pregnant woman has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire that killed several family pets.

The woman was not at home when the fire started in the lounge of the first floor flat in St Alban's Close, Gravesend, on Monday.

Two budgerigars, a canary and a cat were in the property at the time, Kent Fire and Rescue Service said.

The woman returned at about 21:15 GMT to find the flat filled with smoke.

Residents fled

She tried to make her way in to check on her pets and suffered smoke inhalation before calling 999.

Three other residents also fled their flats before fire crews arrived.

The blaze is thought to have been started by an unattended candle.

Crews spent almost two hours tackling the fire, which caused extensive damage to the flat.

The ground floor flat was also affected as well as the loft of the neighbouring property.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Kent

Weather

Canterbury

Min. Night 12 °C

Features

  • Peaky Blinders publicity shotBrum do

    Why is the Birmingham accent so difficult to mimic?


  • Oliver CromwellA brief history

    The 900-year-story behind the creation of a UK parliament


  • Beer and alcoholAbstinence wars

    The struggle to claim the month of October


  • Image of Ankor Wat using lidarJungle Atlantis

    How lasers have revealed an ancient city beneath the forest


  • Tesco signBest before?

    Has Tesco passed its sell-by date, asks Richard Anderson


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.