Dartford council warning over Brooklands Lakes algae
- 17 August 2013
- From the section Kent
People have been warned to keep away from blue-green algae that has been found in a lake in Kent.
Dartford council said the algae in a small area of Brooklands Lakes had been caused by recent hot and dry weather.
It said the Environment Agency had confirmed the presence of low levels of the algae, which is potentially harmful to humans and toxic to animals.
People have been advised not to swim in the water, or drink it, or to allow children or pets to play in it.
The council said warning signs had been placed around the lakes.
It said if people thought they had come into contact with the algae, they should wash the affected area thoroughly and seek medical advice.
The council said the Environment Agency would continue testing the water and warnings would remain in place until the algal count dropped to a safe level.