Woman and child rescued from smoke-filled Dartford flat

A mother and child had to be rescued from a smoke-filled flat after a fire broke out in a shop below.

The blaze in the store on The Brent in Dartford was discovered at about 23:40 GMT on Sunday.

Neighbours told Kent fire service that people may have been inside, and the woman and child were discovered asleep.

Lee Abel, from the fire service, said: "There weren't any smoke alarms so the only thing that woke them was firefighters banging on the door."

The pair were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Two dogs were also rescued from the flat unharmed.

Mr Abel said: "Just three breaths of fire smoke can render you unconscious and as this incident highlights, if you are asleep already, and without a smoke alarm to wake you, your chances of escaping are significantly reduced."

The cause of the fire is not thought to be suspicious, Kent Fire and Rescue Service said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites