Dog rescued from dishwasher fire in Strood

A family's pet dog was rescued from a house fire in Kent after an unattended dishwasher caught fire.

Neighbours heard a smoke alarm at about 08:25 BST coming from the house in Abbey Road, Strood and called the fire service.

Firefighters, from Kent Fire and Rescue Service, wearing breathing equipment rescued the family's Shih Tzu dog.

The fire service said the machine had been left running while the homeowner took her children to school.

Nick Bate, Strood crew manager, said: "Never leave electrical appliances running while you are out of the home or when you are in bed at night."

He said fire damage was limited to the kitchen, but the rest of the house had suffered from smoke damage.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Kent

Weather

Canterbury

Min. Night 14 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.