Woman burnt in Dungeness barbecue blast on beach
A 39-year-old woman was injured when a gas barbecue cylinder exploded on a beach in Kent.
The woman thought the cylinder was empty and was changing it at Dungeness earlier when a gas cloud escaped and caught light on the hot coals.
She suffered third-degree burns on her arm and leg. The blaze also singed the chest and face of her 60-year-old father, who was standing nearby.
Both were treated by paramedics at the scene. The woman was taken to hospital.
"Gas barbecues must be treated with extreme caution, as even a small amount of escaped gas can be ignited by hot coals," said Lydd firefighter Phil Usher.
"Our advice is to ensure that the gas tap is always turned off before changing a cylinder, even if you believe it to be empty."