Payout over Amy Carter's hospital death
The parents of a Worcestershire 15-year-old who died from septicaemia have said they feel "bitterly disappointed" a hospital trust has not fully accepted responsibility for her death.
Amy Carter, from Stourport-on-Severn, died in 2009 after being discharged from Worcestershire Royal Hospital.
Her parents have won an undisclosed settlement from Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
The trust described Amy's care as "appropriate".'Utterly devastated'
The teenager was discharged from hospital on 21 December 2009 with a diagnosis of glandular fever. She died three days later after developing a bacterial infection leading to septicaemia and multi-organ failure.
The family's legal team, Irwin Mitchell, argued that had Amy remained in hospital she could have been treated with antibiotics.
Amy's father Richard said: "Our family has been utterly devastated at losing Amy. We have really struggled to come to terms with what has happened.
"We feel the treatment Amy received at hospital fell well below acceptable standards."
He said the settlement marked the end of "a long legal battle".
"We are bitterly disappointed [the trust] didn't fully accept any responsibility for what happened to our daughter and were unable to provide us with any detailed explanation of what went wrong," he said.
"Without this information, the reality is that we have no faith the same tragedy can never be repeated."
Thomas Riis-Bristow, from Irwin Mitchell, said: "Our independent expert medical evidence has found Amy's condition was such that she should have remained in hospital.
"Nothing can turn back the clock, but the settlement at the very least, marks the conclusion of the family's long legal battle to secure justice for Amy's memory."
Penny Venables, the trust's chief executive said a "full investigation" had been carried out by the trust into Amy's care.
"At all stages of her hospital stay, Amy received appropriate care," she said.
"We are pleased the legal claim arising from Amy's death has now been resolved."