Hereford United: Tommy Agombar steps down as Bulls director
- 18 June 2014
- From the section Hereford & Worcester
New Hereford United owner Tommy Agombar has stepped down as a director of the troubled football club.
A report from Companies House confirmed that his appointment was "terminated" on Tuesday 17 June - just 13 days after being formally announced.
The decision was taken the day after he was confronted by angry Bulls fans prior to a pre-planned meeting with Herefordshire Council.
Hereford's only listed director now is former chairman David Keyte.
However, London businessman Agombar insisted on Tuesday that Keyte, who sold the club to him for £2, no longer had any involvement.
"David Keyte has got nothing to do with the club," he said. "He will no longer be chairman."
Hereford were expelled from the Football Conference on 10 June for failing to pay their bills.
The Bulls will now drop two levels down English football's non-league pyramid next season, subject to official acceptance by the Southern League, who will make a final decision at their annual general meeting on Saturday.
A statement released last week said: "Following discussions with Hereford United Football Club regarding their participation in the Southern Football League for the 2014-15 season, the League will accept their inclusion into the competition to play in its Premier Division, subject to the club meeting certain criteria within a time frame imposed by the League."
The deadline for meeting those criteria, which include passing the Football Association's Owners and Directors test, formerly the Fit and Proper Persons test, is Friday of this week.
Meanwhile, a contingency plan to keep professional football at Edgar Street, the club's home for the past 90 years, has been presented to Herefordshire Council by a group of businessmen who believe the current company, Hereford United 1939 Limited, "has no long-term future".
They have proposed the setting up of a new football company if the club in its existing form is wound up.
A council spokeswoman confirmed: "The council was presented with a comprehensive business plan, which it agreed to consider if the current club does indeed go into administration."
Speaking on behalf of the consortium, Jon Hale said they had £150,000 to cover the cost of forming a new company and to help with cash flow.
The plan would see the chairman of Hereford United Supporters' Trust take a "prominent position" on the club's board, while other trust board members would be invited to become directors.
Hale, the chairman of Hadopots Limited, said there would be no single majority shareholder and that the intention was for the club to be owned by fans, with investors with business experience in the background.
He added: "The trust board feels that any phoenix club would need professional business expertise to guide it," he said. "That is why we feel our group, working alongside supporters, could provide a bright future for football at Edgar Street."