Herefordshire Council staff back action against job cuts
- 15 May 2013
- From the section Hereford & Worcester
Council staff have voted for industrial action over plans to cut more than 300 Herefordshire jobs in a move described by a union as a "jobs massacre".
Last month Herefordshire Council announced 200 jobs would go, following a budget review, on top of 120 already identified.
The council said it needed to make savings of £53.3m by 2016 due to cuts in central government funding.
Unison said 80% of its members had voted in favour of industrial action.
It said its members would be lobbying the council's cabinet at a meeting on Thursday.
A union spokesman added that its members would also resist proposals to reduce redundancy pay to the statutory minimum and the introduction of three days unpaid leave from 1 June.
The latest job cuts follow a review by new chief executive Alistair Neil, which identified what were described as "weaknesses" in the council's original budget plans.
The review found it needed to save an extra £8.4m this year.