Safe water may return to Broadway on Friday
- 27 November 2012
- From the section Hereford & Worcester
A safe supply of water will be restored to a Worcestershire village on Friday at the earliest, Severn Trent Water said.
Bottled water has been given to homes in Broadway after reports on Friday of problems with the water. Tests showed discolouration and a change of taste.
Engineers found a cracked pipe letting in standing water which was polluting the system.
Severn Trent Water apologised to its customers.
Simon Brown, from the water company, said: "We had ground water going into that [cracked] pipe. Trying to locate that position wasn't made easy by the weather. We had quite significant flooding on site."
Mr Brown said a full clean of the system was taking place and water would remain on.
He added: "That'll take a couple of days. We then have to get a couple of days' worth of sample results back."
Customers have been advised to boil tap water before using it and to take care when bathing young children to avoid them swallowing the water.
Jeremy Houghton, who lives in Broadway, said his two children under the age of two have had baths at friends' houses instead.
He said: "They can't be bathed [at home]. Little kids in baths... just sort of drink and muck around in it.
"As far as me and my wife Jess [are] concerned, it's not that much of a hardship using bottled water."