'Wrong' charger cause of explosion in Hampshire home

Explosion in home in Southampton Road, Ringwood The explosion destroyed one of the bedrooms in the property in Southampton Road, Ringwood

Related Stories

An explosion that destroyed part of a home in Hampshire has been traced to a charger used to power an e-cigarette.

Investigators found an "unbranded" USB charger plugged into the decimated bedroom in Southampton Road, Ringwood.

They said the overheated e-cigarette started a fire, which led to the explosion of an air horn canister.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue investigator Dan Tasker said: "The consequences of using the wrong charger with the wrong device can be devastating."

Cheap charger warning

The charger was not one that came with the e-cigarette.

Mr Tasker said the incident on 14 July was "the latest in a string of incidents in the UK involving the use of cheap or inappropriate chargers".

He added: "We are extremely relieved that on this occasion no one was harmed."

Hampshire Trading Standards said e-cigarettes can be susceptible to overheating due to the type of battery they contain.

A spokesman said: "The message is do not buy cheap or unbranded chargers for use with e-cigarettes, mobile phones or any other devices.

"At worst, they have the potential to give a fatal electric shock or cause a very serious house fire."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight



Min. Night 7 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.