Basingstoke hospital chemical spill burns staff
- 3 July 2014
- From the section Hampshire & Isle of Wight
A chemical spill at a hospital left two members of staff with burns.
The men were injured in a store room in the Diagnosis and Treatment Centre at Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital on Wednesday night.
Firefighters sent to deal with the spill said the men were exposed to a concentrated disinfectant containing highly corrosive peracetic acid.
The victims are receiving treatment. The hospital said it "will be reviewing our procedures".
Hospital chief operating officer Donna Green said: "Last night there was a small spillage of a chemical in a specialist store room in the Diagnosis and Treatment Centre at Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital which resulted in two members of staff receiving minor burns.
"We have supported the staff involved in the incident and we followed the usual protocol for these situations which is to involve the fire and ambulance services.
"We can confirm that the staff involved the incident sustained minor burns, had immediate attention on site at the time, have seen a specialist and do not require further treatment.
"We take these matters very seriously and will be reviewing our procedures to see if there is anything we can learn from this."